Sweet and Sour Indian Chicken
This is a standout dinner party meal that everyone likes, with a great balance of sweet, sour, and spicy flavors.
If you like spicier food, you can add hot chili flakes to taste with the other dry spices.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, skinless, bone-in
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium high heat.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour to coat and brown chicken on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining tablespoon of oil, onions, and garlic and cook until soft and golden brown. Add sugar and spices. Cook and stir for about a minute, then add vinegar and broth.
- Add chicken, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste sauce and add salt if necessary. Serve chicken and sauce over a bed of basmati rice with a simple green salad on the side.