Brain Healthy IngredientsCucumbers, Red berries
We have known for quite some time that dietary antioxidants offer a great deal of health benefits for both the brain and the body. Researchers who have focused on a particular antioxidant called fisetin had previously found that it seemed to improve memory, and recently found that it can improve the symptoms of Alzheimer’s. The best sources of fisetin? Strawberries and cucumbers.
Serve this welcome change from the standard tomato-based salsa with tortilla chips or pita chips!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, skin on, finely chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tblsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Allow to sit 30-60 minutes before serving, to let the flavors meld and marry. Serve with tortilla chips or pita chips.
- If you want to make this ahead, combine everything except the salt and lime juice and add those before serving – otherwise the strawberries and cucumbers will break down too much.