Brain Healthy IngredientsGarlic, Lamb, Onions, Turmeric
Lamb is a rich source of niacin, an important nutrient for optimal brain function that has been shown to protect against age-related cognitive decline. Lamb is also an excellent source of vitamin B12, a key ingredient in the development of nerve cells.
To keep the skewers from sticking while cooking, make sure you get your grill pan very hot. If desired, you can also lightly oil the meat just prior to cooking.
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 lb ground lamb
- Put the onion wedges and chopped garlic in a food processor and pulse until the onion is chopped into small pieces.
- Add the cinnamon, turmeric, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, and process until combined.
- Add the egg, bread crumbs, and ground lamb and process until a sticky paste is formed, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
- Form about a third of a cup of the lamb mixture around each skewer to cover the top third of the skewer. Refrigerate the skewers for 20 minutes to help them hold their shape.
- Heat a grill pan or BBQ and cook the skewers for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. If desired, serve with tzatziki sauce.