Brain Healthy IngredientsCruciferous vegetables & dark leafy greens, Garlic, Nuts, Olive Oil
Recent research on pistachios has found that they contain several types of antioxidant compounds that can be beneficial to the brain and body. This is a fast and easy recipe that also happens to be vegan, and incorporates pistachios with garlic, olive oil, and fresh parsley, which all offer brain health benefits as well.
To keep parsley and other leafy herbs fresh, wrap the stems in a wet paper towel and then in a bit of foil and put them in the refrigerator. Or, put the stems in a glass of water and place in the fridge.
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic, peeled
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 large pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- about 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Grasp the parsley leaves in one hand and use scissors to cut the stems off just below the lowest leaves. Discard the stems. Rinse and dry the leafy parts thoroughly and set aside.
- Put pistachios in a dry saute pan and toast over medium heat until warm and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, and chili flakes. Add a few pinches of salt. Pulse mixture to chop garlic.
- Add parsley and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil and the warm nuts and pulse until well-mixed. Continue adding olive oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is creamy but not oily. Taste and add more salt or chili flakes.
- This will keep in the fridge for a few days, and won’t become brown like basil pesto.