Pecan, Cranberry, & Orange Muffins
Cranberries are an excellent source of high-quality antioxidants, which help maintain a healthy brain.
Makes 12 Muffins
Be sure not to overmix the batter or it may become tough. Mix it just long enough to combine the ingredients fully, but no more.
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsps whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar (also known as caster sugar)
- ¼ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Zest of ½ orange
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 2 tsp orange juice
- ½ cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Sift the two flours and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, then stir in sugar, pecans, and orange zest.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat together the egg, milk, melted butter, and orange juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and beat with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Add the cranberries and stir briefly. (Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough.)
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin liners, filling to around 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the domes are lightly golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove muffins from the oven. Allow to cool slightly, and serve while still warm.