Oatmeal w Almonds and Tart Cherries
Dress up those morning oats with cinnamon, almonds, and cherries, and start your day with a wealth of brain-boosting compounds!
You can substitute dried blueberries or cranberries for the tart cherries.
- 3 1/2 cups lowfat or nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups oats (not quick oats)
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- maple syrup or honey to serve
- Heat milk and cinnamon in a saucepan just until boiling. Add oats and cook, stirring, over medium heat until it reaches the desired consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Add cherries to pot and stir in. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove to serving bowls. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or honey, if desired.
- To add more lean protein to the meal, you can also garnish with a dollop of lowfat or nonfat plain yogurt.