Brain Healthy IngredientsBlueberries and dark berries, Eggs, Nuts, Oats
A recent study from New Zealand has found that blackcurrants may improve mental performance and boost mood. The study was small–with just 28 participants–but the results statistically significant. Comparing 2 types of blackcurrant juice and a matched placebo drink, the researchers saw improved attention and mood and decreased fatigue in the two blackcurrant groups but not in the placebo group.
In the meantime, we’ve put together a brain healthy pancake recipe featuring dried blackcurrants. It also includes walnuts, oatmeal, and eggs.
Having trouble finding dried blackcurrants? You can easily order them online.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup dried blackcurrants
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (can substitute brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, oil, or cooking spray
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Add oatmeal, blackcurrants, walnuts, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.
- Heat a saute pan or griddle over medium high heat. Add butter, oil, or cooking spray. Pour or spoon batter into the pan and
- Serve immediately with syrup, jam, or yogurt.