Mexican Hot Chocolate
Ancient Aztecs used to drink bitter chocolate with cinnamon and vanilla for a treat. This elixir will satisfy your chocolate cravings while promoting brain health!
For a richer flavor, you can use coconut suger or brown sugar in place of the white sugar.
- 3 cups lowfat milk
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- Put milk and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring just to a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for between 30 minutes and 2 hours, to infuse cinnamon flavor into milk.
- Remove cinnamon sticks. Add sugar, vanilla, and salt and return milk to a boil.
- When milk boils, turn heat to low and whisk in chopped chocolate.
- Once chocolate is completely melted and incorporated, decant to 4 cups and serve warm.