Lemony Collard Greens
A fresh take on this Southern favorite will give you an antioxidant boost for your brain.
If you like things spicy, add a few hot pepper flakes with the lemon juice.
- 2 pounds collard greens
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1/2 red onion, chopped finely
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Remove stems and tough center ribs from greens and rinse well to remove dirt. Stack leaves and cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add collard greens and cook 15-20 minutes. Drain well on paper towels.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add shallots or onion, greens, and lemon zest. Season with salt to taste. Cook 5-7 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Remove from pan and squeeze lemon juice over. Taste and add more salt if necessary.