Brain Healthy IngredientsNuts, Turmeric
This variation on semolina and turmeric cake (called sfouf in Lebanon) is light and not-too-sweet…the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee. The turmeric and almonds add an unusual brain boosting combination.
To serve this cake in the traditional way, don’t cut it into slices. Instead, cut it into small squares or diamonds.
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup slivered or blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix semolina, flour, baking powder, and turmeric and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix milk and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add flour mixture and melted butter and beat together.
- Pour the batter into a greased, 9-inch round pan. Add almonds to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.