Kale Salad with Tart Cherries & Toasted Almonds
Recent research has shown that the antioxidants in tart cherries may help stave off the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. This recipe also uses kale, a hearty winter green that is a true superfood, as well as brain-boosting almonds and olive oil.
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 8 oz. kale leaves
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (smooth or grainy)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put walnuts in a small saute pan and toast over medium low heat, about 5 minutes, until just starting to smell fragrant. Pour into bowl to cool.
- Prepare the kale by running your thumb and forefinger from the bottom of the stalk to the top to separate the leaves from the stalks. Discard stalks. Rinse leaves well and dry with towels. Roll leaves tightly and slice thinly to create ribbons.
- Put dried kale ribbons in serving bowl and top with toasted walnuts, cherries, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Put olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk well to combine. Pour over salad, toss, and let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.