Grown Up Fruit Salad
It's hard to pick one brain food in this recipe. The berries and kiwi all have some evidence in their favor, largely because they are filled with powerful antioxidants like vitamin C. Spinach is also full of brain-boosting vitamins. Plus, just a quarter cup of walnuts provides nearly 100% of the recommended daily intake of omega-3 fatty acids. While the omega-3 in walnuts is ALA (alpha linoleic acid)—which has fewer documented brain benefits than other types of omega-3s—the human body can convert ALA into smaller amounts of more powerful omega-3s like EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).
Brain Healthy Ingredients:
Make sure that your fruit is fresh, and that you rinse and dry it completely before getting started.
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 kiwifruits, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 oz fresh spinach leaves
- Leaves from ¾ head of romaine lettuce
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 oz feta or blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Rinse all of the fruit and place in a colander lined with paper towels to dry.
- Place the spinach and romaine in a bowl and toss together to mix.
- Arrange berries and kiwi on top of the spinach and lettuce.
- Top with walnuts and feta or blue cheese (if using) and serve immediately.