Brain Healthy IngredientsFlaxseed
Flaxseeds have Omega-3 fatty acids that may benefit the brain. Studies on flaxseed consumption suggest they have potential for improving cognition, particularly in post-menopausal women. Eat them ground for the most health benefits.
If you’re having trouble rolling the grissini to length, roll them as far as you can and let them relax for a few minutes. They should then roll more easily to the length you want.
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsps (150 g) all-purpose or bread flour
- 2/3 cup (149 g) cold water
- 3 Tbsps (23 g) rye or whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseeds (flax meal)
- Scant ¾ tsp (2.3 g) instant yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 ¼ tsps olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Coarsely-ground pepper
- Whole flaxseeds
- Whole or coarsely chopped fennel seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Coarse semolina
- In the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade, combine the flour, rye flour, flaxseed, salt, and yeast. Pulse to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine 2/3 cup (149 grams) of cold water with the olive oil. With the food processor running, add the liquids to the dry ingredients in a thin stream.
- Continue processing until the dough more or less holds together (it will not form a ball because it is too sticky at this point) and for about 30 seconds beyond that. The total processing time should be about 90 seconds.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled, covered container.
- Let rise at room temperature until the dough doubles in volume, about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. While working with the first piece, cover and refrigerate the other.
- On a lightly floured counter, pat the dough into a rectangle of roughly 8 x 4 inches.
- Sprinkle the dough evenly with your choice of topping(s).
- With a pizza cutter or chef’s knife, cut the dough into 12 strips.
- On a flour-free section of counter, roll each dough strip into a snake the length of your baking sheet. Space them evenly across the sheet.
- Spray or brush the grissini lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until well browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.