Flaxseeds have Omega-3 fatty acids that may benefit the brain. Studies on flaxseed consumption suggest they have potential for improving cognition, particularly in post-menopausal women. Eat them ground for the most health benefits.
Brain Healthy Ingredients:
If you're having trouble rolling the grissini to length, roll them as far as you can and let them relax for a few minutes. They should then roll more easily to the length you want.
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsps (150 g) all-purpose or bread flour
- 2/3 cup (149 g) cold water
- 3 Tbsps (23 g) rye or whole wheat flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseeds (flax meal)
- Scant ¾ tsp (2.3 g) instant yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 ¼ tsps olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Coarsely-ground pepper
- Whole flaxseeds
- Whole or coarsely chopped fennel seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Coarse semolina
- In the bowl of a food processor with the metal blade, combine the flour, rye flour, flaxseed, salt, and yeast. Pulse to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine 2/3 cup (149 grams) of cold water with the olive oil. With the food processor running, add the liquids to the dry ingredients in a thin stream.
- Continue processing until the dough more or less holds together (it will not form a ball because it is too sticky at this point) and for about 30 seconds beyond that. The total processing time should be about 90 seconds.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled, covered container.
- Let rise at room temperature until the dough doubles in volume, about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. While working with the first piece, cover and refrigerate the other.
- On a lightly floured counter, pat the dough into a rectangle of roughly 8 x 4 inches.
- Sprinkle the dough evenly with your choice of topping(s).
- With a pizza cutter or chef's knife, cut the dough into 12 strips.
- On a flour-free section of counter, roll each dough strip into a snake the length of your baking sheet. Space them evenly across the sheet.
- Spray or brush the grissini lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until well browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.