Espresso Brownie Cake
Have your cake and eat it too… while getting brain benefits from flavanol-rich chocolate, coffee, and a hint of cinnamon.
If you don't have buttermilk, you can sour milk with a little bit of lemon juice or white vinegar.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened organic cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 400. Spray an 8 or 9 inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl
- Heat butter, espresso, and cocoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour cocoa mixture over flour and sugar and mix.
- Add buttermilk, egg, baking soda, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Stir in chocolate pieces.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Garnish with powdered sugar before serving if desired.