Brain Healthy IngredientsEggs
Not surprisingly, eggs have something in common with chicken: high choline content. Choline is associated with long-term memory development.
Harissa is a North African sauce made of hot chili peppers and olive oil. It’s commonly used in Tunisian, Algerian, and Moroccan cooking.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 2 sprigs parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tsps harissa
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsps half-and-half
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Rustic bread, toasted
- Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small sauté pan and add sliced leeks with a splash of water and a pinch or two of salt. Cook until leeks are tender, soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer leeks to a ramekin or small baking dish and line the bottom of the dish with them. Sprinkle parsley leaves on top, reserving a few bits for garnish. Spread the harissa over the herbs in a thin layer, using as much as desired.
- Crack the egg and gently slide it into the middle of the dish. Add the cream so it covers the egg white. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake egg for 8-12 minutes, until cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with grilled or toasted bread.