Carrot Ginger Soup
This spiced soup is a great source of brain healthy beta-carotene and turmeric. Make a big batch and pack it for lunch.
Before serving, you can sprinkle the top with chopped fresh herbs or a few grinds of black pepper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped into 2 inch sections
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add curry powder and ginger and sauté about one minute.
- Add carrots and salt and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low until carrots are very soft, about
- Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender.
- Put pureed soup into a bowl and stir in milk or cream. Serve immediately.