Broccoli Kale Soup
This delicious soup doubles up on green leafy veggies for an extra dose of brain-boosting antioxidants.
Don't skip the carrot—it adds a bit of sweetness to the soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small bunch kale, leaves stripped off stalk
- 1 cup nonfat or lowfat milk or plain yogurt
- Heat olive oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook 4-5 minutes, until fragrant and just starting to brown.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add broccoli and stock to pot and cook 7 minutes. Add kale and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with a hand blender or in batches in a regular blender.
- Stir in milk and reheat to a simmer (do not boil). Serve immediately with crusty bread.