Blueberry & Crème Fraîche Ice Cream
Perhaps more than any other food, blueberries are associated with better brain health. Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatories, making them a popular subject of studies on cognitive functioning. Many of these studies suggest that eating blueberries may protect against oxidative stress, improve memory and cognition, and even prevent cognitive decline.
Brain Healthy Ingredients:
For slightly different flavor try using brown sugar.
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 oz crème fraîche
- Clean blueberries and place in a stainless steel pan over medium heat. Add sugar. Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly, and then turn heat to low.
- Cook on low heat for about five minutes, or until blueberries are mostly liquid (there will be some remaining chunks of blueberries). Remove from heat, pour mixture into a bowl and place in fridge until cool, about 1 hour.
- Remove blueberry mixture from fridge and mix in crème fraîche.
Directions with an Ice Cream Maker
- Pour blueberry crème fraîche mixture into ice cream maker, following machine instructions.
Directions without an Ice Cream Maker
- Pour ice cream mixture into a chilled wide-lipped, deep bowl (ceramic or stainless steel is best) and place in the fridge for about 1 hour. Remove from fridge and place in freezer
- After 30 minutes check on the mixture. It should be starting to freeze around the edges. Stir the ice cream until it is creamy again and then put it back in the freezer
- Repeat step 2 three more times, every 30 minutes. Store in freezer in covered container until ready to serve.